Soccer in England was suspended indefinitely last month due to the novel coronavirus outbreak, which has caused more than 26,000 deaths in the United Kingdom. Premier League clubs are set to meet on Friday to discuss ways to finish the season.
Rushing to resume the 2019-20 English Premier League season stalled by the COVID-19 pandemic could jeopardise the lives of players and staff, former Manchester United defender Gary Neville said. English soccer has been suspended since March 13 due to the novel coronavirus, which has led to the deaths of more than 26,000 people in Britain. Still, the minister responsible for sport has held talks with the league on competition returning as soon as possible.
Gauff survives scare, Osaka advances
Wigan Athletic's Roberto Martinez has been "made an offer" by Liverpool's American owners who are searching for a new manager after sacking Kenny Dalglish, Wigan chairman Dave Whelan said.
David Beckham's representatives have shot down claims made by the Football Federation of Australia (FFA) that they were negotiating a move to the A-League for the former England captain.
Bradley Wiggins was released from hospital on Thursday following his bike crash as British Cycling announced that Shane Sutton, the team's head coach, had also been knocked off his bike.
Manchester United will be back in action in next season's Champions League after they hammered Chelsea 4-1.
The image was apparently taken in 2009 when the batter was 20 years of age at a New Year's Eve Party.
Manchester United's former England captain Wayne Rooney was pictured at Everton's training ground on Saturday ahead of a proposed transfer back to the boyhood favourites he first joined aged nine.
McLaren have yet to unlock the potential of their new Formula One car with the start of the season looming, according to Jenson Button.
Hard-hitting batsman Kevin Pietersen is holding England to ransom by threatening to quit Test cricket, according to former captain Bob Willis.
Former Arsenal, Real Madrid and Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka has joined Juventus on a five-month deal from China's Shanghai Shenhua, the Italian club said on Saturday.
Britain's Amir Khan has had his WBA super-lightweight title reinstated ahead of his fight against WBC champion Danny Garcia in Las Vegas, the governing body said on Wednesday.
Lewis Hamilton has actively supported the Black Lives Matter movement, calling out his own sport's initial silence over the killing of Floyd, who died after a white US police officer knelt on his neck last month.
The victory on a hot afternoon at Le Castellet was Verstappen's seventh of the season and 27th of his career.
'I was thinking last night that I wanted to show I'm still capable of helping the team. When I started the game, I was super nervous when they were singing my name but this crowd is unbelievable.'
Harry Redknapp's salvage operation at Queens Park Rangers started with a battling 0-0 draw at fellow strugglers Sunderland in a dour Premier League match on Tuesday.
Rediff.com brings you some pictures that summarise the happenings in the sporting world in the week that was.
Newcastle dealt a huge blow to Arsenal's chances of qualifying for the Champions League by beating them 2-0
Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez has denied he refused to play in Tuesday's Champions League Group A match against Bayern Munich, media reports said on Wednesday.
Formula One could cope with up to 10 positive tests for COVID-19 when the sport starts the season in July, according to the chairman of the governing FIA's medical commission. Professor Gerard Saillant told Sky Sports television the sport would still need a 'red line', however, beyond which racing could not continue.
Rashford stepped off the bench to fire two late goals to put the seal on an eighth victory in a row in all competitions for the home side.
Manchester City have agreed to sell Carlos Tevez to Brazilian side Corinthians although a fee for the 27-year-old has yet to be finalised, City's manager Roberto Mancini said on Monday.
Brad Friedel will remain Tottenham Hotspur's first-choice goalkeeper despite the arrival of French international Hugo Lloris on transfer deadline day, manager Andre Villas-Boas said on Saturday.
Premier League leaders Manchester City signed AS Roma's Chilean midfielder David Pizarro on Tuesday on loan until the end of the season, manager Roberto Mancini again linking up with the tidy passer.
There was such a rush that more counters were opened outside the GPO building, under the open sky, he added.
Carlos Alcaraz beat Fabian Marozsan 6-3, 6-3 to reach the Indian Wells quarter-finals
Neither the weather nor the anti-climax of the ceremony taking place the day after the FA Cup final defeat by arch-rivals Manchester United 2-1 could dampen the spirits as flags, bananas and even a blow-up Jack Grealish dummy were held aloft in triumph.
IMAGES from the English Premier League matches played on Wednesday
News of all that transpired on and off the football field...
"I really hope it happens - and especially that I am eligible to play in the Champions League," said the 28-year-old striker.
But new faces, such as world champion 10m air rifle shooter Rudrankksh Patil, Esha Singh (10m air pistol), Sift Kaur Samra and Ashi Chouksey (50m rifle 3-positions) are some of the brightest prospects in the team with a potential to aim for gold, notwithstanding the extremely tough challenge the Chinese will pose in the coming fortnight.
Who do you think should be part of India's playing XI in the first Test against Australia?
Substitute Roman Yaremchuk kept Ukraine in Euro 2024 contention with a goal 10 minutes from time to beat a shell-shocked Slovakia 2-1 on Friday
Manchester United climb into sixth place with 3-0 West Ham win
Liverpool have been granted permission to speak to Wigan Athletic manager Roberto Martinez about taking over from Kenny Dalglish who was sacked on Wednesday.
France right back Bacary Sagna will miss the European Championship after suffering a broken leg during Arsenal's 3-3 Premier League draw with Norwich City on Saturday.
'As a professional, you have to respect the umpire's decision, but we felt the ball had been grounded.'
Steve Smith scored an unbeaten 85 to guide Australia to 339/5 as England wasted favourable bowling conditions on the first day of the second Ashes Test.
Another Liverpool great, Graeme Souness, said Klopp had produced a "fabulous" side.